Pages

Search This Blog

Monday, May 6, 2013

Walk this Shway

I must be the first to admit that when I say Shway arrive in my inbox the other day, I did not think that I would ever use it.  Not because I don't like the tangle, but because it looked hard.  I felt like too much spacing and even-ness would be required.  (Confession: mismatched spaces when I want them to be matched makes my eye twitch.)  All that being said, I decided that I was going to figure this out and do the challenge on time this week.

First things first, I played a little with Shway.  I had not tried it out yet.  Once I did a little, and figured out how to get it like I wanted it to be, I pulled out some paper and got to work.  I did a little tic-tac-toe board for a string.  I wanted Schway to take center stage on this one, but I didn't want it to be a monotangle either. I put Shway in five of the spaces so that I would have several chances to vary/experiment with the patterns.   When looking at Shway unvaried and unshaded, I was afraid that the pattern would be quite flat so for the other four spots, I tried to choose tangles that would have dimension. I wanted the other spaces to pop up a little against the flat.


In the end, I'm not sure my other tangles pop up as much as I thought they might, and not all of Shway is as flat as I feared it would.  There is so much possibility for variation here and I really enjoyed experimenting.  I also like the graphic quality of Shway.  It has a pop art feel to me. I am happy with my tile this week.  Not only is it finished in time, but was done in record time for me.

I am also posting last week's Blind String Challenge.  I finished it late Saturday and was too tired to get it shaded, scanned and blogged in time to make the deadline.This was my first go at Phicops and while I certainly have more experimenting with it to feel that I have "mastered" it, I am really glad that I gave it a go and tried it.  I also experimented with Laura's tangle Versa.  I was going for another look that I have done with Versa but, I got distracted and goofed it up.  That being said, I do like the end result.  The other grid pattern is one that I did combining Z-Trick and Flwr Box.  I still need to try those two on their own, but I am pleased with how my combination came out as well.  I was just playing around with ideas when I started this one, so I wasn't sure what the end result would look like.

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look.  Have a great week!

19 comments:

  1. Beautiful work! I hope I can get this one - it looks complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully done, I like the way you managed to get other tangles in there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like all the variations. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing - and great how you blended so many interesting patterns into such a small space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun tangling with a wonderful mix of ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Five schways to tangle Schway.... Great. I love the one in the upper left square. That looks really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are both great! In the first one, I love the way you were able to integrate several versions of Schway with a couple of other tangles. It is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both of your tiles are very nice, well balanced, and inspiring!

    Be happy,

    Jacque Solomon
    www.tanglebright.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice Schway and combination of tangles along with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love all the wonderful textures and tangle choices with Schway, very fun. Your blind string is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everyone for your kind comments! I hope to check out all your tiles soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice Schways!! And your Versa version is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the idea of a tick tack toe string, and it is such a great way to play with variations! Love your choice of companion tangles too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many ways to schway. What a great example of exploring a tangle. My favourite is in the first one top left. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete